Skip to content

The Eagle Distillery Company

The Eagle Distillery was built in 1868, by T. J. Monarch on the site of an old distillery believed to have been Bunch Landing Distillery, one mile north of Stanley and nine miles east of Owensboro. It had an original mashing capacity of fifty bushels per day and in 1890 was increased to 494 bushels per day.

Around 1880, Monarch built his third distillery there. It was a 3-story brick building and on the roof was a cupola for ventilation. There was an observatory on top of the main building. On top of it was a giant golden eagle with wings extended. On the front of the building, a triangular window represented three barrel heads. On top were the words “TJ Monarch old-fashioned hand made sour mash fire copper whiskey.” Each corner of the building was crowned with a large iron whiskey barrel surmounted by a jug.