OWENSBORO, Ky. (July 14, 2015) — Visiting Owensboro and the surrounding area appeals to bluegrass fans for many reasons. Some travel here for Bill Monroe’s high lonesome sound, while others bring instruments to play at informal jam sessions. That is not unusual in a town where bluegrass is played, and welcomed, just about anywhere.
OWENSBORO, Ky. (July 9, 2015) — Hot air balloons will take flight above Owensboro as part of summertime festivities at the Western Kentucky Botanical Gardens.
OWENSBORO, Ky. (June 23, 2015) — The July calendar adds an extra performance of Owensboro’s Friday After 5 series, with a fan-favorite kickoff to the Fourth of July weekend.
Friday After 5 is a summer-long concert and family entertainment series with a block party and street festival that take place each Friday through Sept. 4. Concerts begin at 6 p.m. with music playing until 11 p.m.
OWENSBORO, Ky. (June 4, 2015) — John Prine, Del McCoury, Sam Bush, Balsam Range and Hot Rize are among dozens of award winning acts set to perform at this year’s ROMP Festival, June 24-27, in Owensboro.
ROMP is a four-day, traditional bluegrass festival with music, camping, concerts and impromptu jam sessions that attract top acts and thousands of fans. In 2012 ROMP was named event of the year by the International Bluegrass Music Association, which originated in Owensboro. The area is rich in bluegrass history, with the birthplace of Bill Monroe in nearby Rosine, Ky.
OWENSBORO, Ky. (June 2, 2015) — The ROMP Festival, drawing marquee bluegrass acts and thousands of fans, is one of many events inviting visitors to Owensboro during the month of June.
St. Mary Magdalene Parish to mark its 100th annual event
OWENSBORO, Ky. — Owensboro’s International Bar-B-Q Festival early each May is only the start of a summer of hickory-flavored festivities.
From May through the end of September, the area’s Catholic churches celebrate tradition and raise a bit of money, too, at 22 parish barbecue picnics that serve tasty chicken, pork, mutton and burgoo to all comers. All are within a 45-minute radius of downtown Owensboro.
OWENSBORO, Ky. (May 13, 2015) — Owensboro’s emerging music scene strikes a resonating cord when Friday After 5 returns to the downtown riverfront for 17 consecutive weeks of live music.
Friday After 5 is a summer-long concert and family entertainment series with a block party and street festival that take place each Friday from May 15-Sept. 4. Concerts begin at 6 p.m. with music playing until 11 p.m.
OWENSBORO, Ky. (April 16, 2015) — The International Bar-B-Q Festival is serious but fun competition with an appetizing invitation. Visitors can sample and take home meat cooked on pits tended by the best cooks around. There’s bluegrass music too, and both activities celebrate Owensboro’s signature attractions.
Center reinforces Owensboro’s place as a music destination
OWENSBORO, Ky. (April 14, 2015) – A $5 million boost from Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear has put the International Bluegrass Music Center on track to open in 2017 and secured Owensboro’s place as one of America’s top music destinations.
The Owensboro Daviess County Convention and Visitors Bureau is adding a new position to the team!
If you meet the qualifications and are interested in joining the CVB as Marketing Assistant, please read the job description below and respond by Monday, July 20, to be considered.
The Owensboro Daviess Co Convention & Visitors Bureau has an entry level job opening for a marketing assistant to work as part of a team to meet the organization’s overall goals for increasing tourism. The marketing assistant reports to the marketing coordinator and assists in preparing and implementing visual collateral and presentation materials and creates marketing content that helps articulate the value of our community’s attractions for use in websites, social media, email, print, radio, video, displays and more.
- Interviewing and Writing
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Experience with WordPress or similar
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Photography and Basic Videography
- Video editing with iMovie or similar
- Familiarity with a variety of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest)
- Social Orientation – Job requires preferring to work with others rather than alone and being personally connected with others on the job.
- Cooperation – Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Dependability – Job requires being reliable, responsible and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Initiative – Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges, offer opinions and the ability to drive projects from inception to completion with little guidance.
- Achievement/Effort – Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks.
- Judgment and Decision Making – Job requires ability to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Integrity – Job requires being honest and ethical.
- Attention to Detail – Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Candidate must be very articulate, have a sense of humor and be easy going – but very disciplined. We need a culture fit!
This is an entry level full time position with an annual starting salary of $26,000-$29,000 plus benefits (based on skills and experience). The ideal candidate is a college graduate with a degree in marketing, communications, English, journalism or a related field. Current students working toward completion of a degree on a part time basis, who are available for full time work, are also encouraged to apply.
To apply by email, send PDF of resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject “Marketing Assistant.” Or Mail or deliver hard copy resume and cover letter to Owensboro Daviess Co. Convention & Visitors Bureau, 215 East 2nd St., Owensboro, KY 42303. To be considered for an interview, please include a link or links to an online portfolio or other examples demonstrating some or all of the desired skills above.
If you have questions about this position or the application process, please email [email protected] with the subject “Marketing Assistant Question.”
Please apply by Monday, July 20, to be considered.